1. So, How old are you?
I'm 17. hahaha no, i wish i was 17, i'm 22! (smile)
2. Describe your style?
Vintage, preppy, and quirky are 3 best words to describe my style. Although it change depends on my mood. One day I can be as sharp and minimalist as Alexander Wang and the next day I can do mixed prints like Betty Suarez.
3. Who do you look up for as an inspiration for your style/designers that influences your style?
There are lot of things that inspire my style, from books, movies, music, and fashion itself. I always look up to Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen because they’re too amazing it’s unacceptable. But I love HAIM and their laid-back California style at the moment.
4. Best purchase at the moment?
Coltrane cut out boot from Nastygal!
5. You wouldn't caught dead wearing...
Crocs!!!! Just. No. Never.
6. Where’s the best place to shop in Jakarta?
If you’re looking for cheap yet cool and rare stuff, i always go to Pasar Senen & Pasar Baroe. But brands like Topshop and Forever 21 are my faves too. The Goods Dept also has some sick stuff.
7. How would you put on the best outfit?
I always try to add an element of surprise to my look. Throw something that makes it memorable and sets it apart from the rest. For example, you could be rocking a tee shirt and jeans but yet the outfit comes off as simply stylish by adding a statement necklace. Once you have most of your outfit together, look for something bold and unexpected to offset the equation. It could be an outwear, bag, shoes, stockings, rings, anything.
8. 5 closet essentials?
A plain white tee, classic black pumps, leather jacket, flirty dress, and statement necklace.
9. 3 things that you can't leave home without?
rings, iPhone, and my make up case.
10. What social media that you prefer to share your style and daily outfit to the world?
I used to have blog and Lookbook account back then but it was neglected due to college stuff and I never want to be called or claim myself as a fashion blogger. So, right now I think Instagram is a pretty solid platform to share my daily outfit.
11. Talking about social media, what is the meaning behind your instagram name "skinny marie"?
Oh this will get a little embarrassing. Skinnymarie was a name of fellow prostitute in Pretty Woman movie. No particular reason why I chose it to be my "internet name", it just struck me when I watched the movie.
12. Random facts about you?
I'm a hoarder. Books, magazines, shoes, plastic bags, business cards, price tags, papers, tickets, checks, snacks/candies. My room is basically a Museum of Everything.
13. So, lets talk about NYC. I heard that you're dying to live and move out to NYC in the future, tell us a little about your dream, how would you picture your perfect life and your dream job would be in NYC?
It just something about New York that makes me believe that dreams do come true. I was first introduced to New York through When Harry Met Sally. I became obsessed with New York ever since and promised myself that I will live there one day. There is not a single thing that one cannot find in that beautiful busy city, because New York has got something for everyone. I can see myself a few years from now, sitting in my little apartment in Brooklyn, working in a fashion magazine while taking care of my own clothing line. and oh I'm dying to work at Vogue! I even tell myself it's okay if they hired me to be an Office Cleaner as long as its in Vogue, hahaha.
14. Talking about NYC, i heard that you got into the final for NY fimelahood a while ago! Congrats! How do you feel when you got selected as a finalist even tho you didn't win?
Thank you! It was such a honor and huge opportunity for me. I got to meet and make a lot of new friends and learned how to do make-up. So, even tho I didn't win, I still consider myself lucky to had this kind of experience.
15. What do you think about this year NYFW? Which one's your favorite?
This year spring collections got me psyched over all of the exciting new concepts I saw on the runways. There are lot of floral, plaid, 90s vibe, crop tops. For me, Alexander Wang, 3.1. Phillip Lim, Proenza Schouler, The Row and Honor are few names that stands out the most.
16. What's your job right now? Is it related to fashion industry?
Yup, I'm a fashion feature reporter at InStyle Indonesia magazine and a freelance stylist.
17. Last question, So are you more of an outdoor or an indoor person? What’s your favorite exercise to do daily?
I would say I'm a equally comfortable indoors and outdoors. But I'm a little bit of a loner. I have strong social skills and feel confident around people, but after a while, I simply require more alone time. Anyway, is walking to the kitchen back and forth count as exercise? if yes, then that's my favorite exercise to do daily.
Thank you so much for sparing half of your time for this interview Gita!
My pleasure, doll.