First of all, it’s not as gross as you think. Actually, it’s not the slightest bit gross. The shirt is very cute, colorful, and totally what I would want to have in my closet. This masterpiece is part of Phiney Pet’s Runway S/S 14 Collection, and here I would like to tell you all about it.
Phiney Pet is this amazing fashion and print designer with a colorful, illustrative approach to fashion (as written in http://grads.thedegreeshow.com/). She has been working with Topshop for the past year, and is now presenting her work in London Fashion Week.
Felice Magazine got the amazing chance to interview the genius and here it is!
1. Phiney Pet is a very unique name! How did you come up with it? Or is it your real name?
My real name is Josephine but everyone calls me Phiney for short and my surname is Pettman so I shortened it to Pet - I think it is more fun than the original!
2. How did you get started as a designer?
I have always loved drawing and texture so I was interested to combine the two. I then studied fashion design, which I gradated from just a couple of months ago.
3. What inspires your designs?
I am inspired by so many different things at different times, it’s hard to pin point just one person or thing. However, I am consistently inspired by the general population. I live in South London – prime people watching location! I always see people, particularly the older generation, and think I love the print on their shirt or the way they a composed that outfit. For me it’s the simple things that trigger ideas.
4. Tell us 3 words that describes your designs
Colorful, energetic and fun!
5. Are you planning to make your designs available in stores? Or have you done so already?
I am in talks with stockists now and plan to open my online store later this year!
6. If you could meet anyone in the world who would it be and why?
Pharrell Williams, not only do I love his music but he has a wonderful level of creativity and is someone I would love to collaborate with.
7. If you could work with only one colour what would it be?
Pink! Because pink makes the boys wink ;)!
8. Who are some of your favorite designers?
Bernard Willhelm, Walter van Beirendonck, KTZ, Ashish and Pushbutton
9. How do you select your models?
I pick girls that I think represent the clothes, I very rarely use model agencies as I prefer girls to have attitude and can be their own person
10. How would you define your personal style?
Eclectic, silly and a bit like a Christmas tree.
11. Where can readers find out more about you and your work?
My website www.phineypet.com, my facebook or my Instagram (@PhineyPet) where I post lots of fun and silly things.
12. If you were not a designer what would you be?
I would like to rescue dogs and give them a happy life.
13. If you could bring one person back to life, who would it be?
Jean Michel Basquiat - his work was incredible, I would have loved to have met him and see his talent in real life.